I visited on Saturday the Japanese Friendship Garden in urban Phoenix. What a lovely and tranquil place this is, in spite of the fighting ducks.
Three studies of ducks:
And the ducks fighting with each other:
The Japanese lantern, studied from different angles and locations in the garden:
Nature always wins. Until it doesn’t. Poor dead tree.
I am now the proud owner of a noisy new leaf blower.
And my front porch is free of debris.
I was lining up a photo of the crape myrtle, and saw the moon in the perfect position for a solo snap.
More from the garden on Saturday, whilst waiting for the hummingbird:
I love marigolds.
The bee is feeding on the mint blossoms.
Crape myrtle against the blue evening sky.
I waited a quarter-hour on Saturday evening, in near-perfect light, to snap this shot of my hummingbird:
Missouri Botanical Garden is open into the evening on select nights in July.
I packed the camera and a couple of lenses on Friday evening. Sadly, they prohibit tripods because of the crowds, so twilight photography is tricky.
The moon and Venus:
Reflecting off of the surface of a still pool of water.
Zinnia still life:
Climatron, Chihuly, and water lily pools:
Well, I’ve had a full week of ‘vacation.’
And yes, I’ve rested from my usual labours. But the daily tasks, and the catch-up tasks, continue.
- dog washed and trimmed
- garden in good shape, with elephant ears split and more annuals in various pots
- yummy Asian chicken salad made and devoured
- at-home office desk purged of piles
- monologues memorized and rehearsed for an audition
- travel home from NYC
- dry cleaning delivered, collected, and stored
- lessons taught and coachings given
- music composed, and new-to-me songs read and digested
- cooking shows watched and enjoyed (and let the weekly menu planning commence)
- photos taken and new sites scouted
- Independence Day duly celebrated with a movie and then some grilled meat
- laundry accomplished; bedsheets changed; bathroom scoured
- fresh Gerber daisies placed in one of two favorite vases, and adorning the living room
- new cast albums heard and enjoyed (mostly)
- cake made and most eaten now
- dog walked more times than I can remember
The list could go on and on, and doesn’t seem like much other than daily life, but living a daily life away from the office for a couple of weeks is a delight!
Pic of Auggie post-grooming: