I saw the dentist again on Wednesday.
Cleaning. Fluoride treatment.
And an appointment to see him again in two weeks for an adjustment on the crown he installed in April.
Then I walked across the street to HotBox Cookies and bought two yummy, sugar-laden discs of doughy goodness to bring home with me.
A compilation of recipes I’ve liked and linked recently on Facebook:
- Steak seven ways http://bzfd.it/2pUgc76
- Salad dressing nine ways http://bzfd.it/2snhdtd
- Fidget spinner cookies http://bzfd.it/2s4juqZ
- Prime rib with garlic herb butter http://bzfd.it/2hrRuri
- Rice cooker cheese cake https://www.facebook.com/dingo.food/videos/1434115123314375/
- Cast iron cooking http://bzfd.it/2eE7R5f
- Beef short ribs https://www.facebook.com/Vindulge/videos/10155367218469346/
- Slow cooker Mexican lasagna http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2011/10/crockpot-mexican-lasagna-stack-up.html
- No-bake strawberry lasagna http://omgchocolatedesserts.com/no-bake-strawberry-jello-lasagna/
- Easy soft flatbread http://www.recipetineats.com/easy-soft-flatbread-yeast/
- Steamed pork dumplings http://japan.recipetineats.com/shumai-or-shao-mai-steamed-dumpling/
- Potato pancakes http://bit.ly/easypotatopancakes
- Tornado cake http://myincrediblerecipes.com/do-nothing-tornado-cake/
- Strawberries & cream cupcakes http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2017/01/strawberries-and-cream-cupcakes/
- Best buttermilk biscuits https://www.facebook.com/MrsHappyHomemaker/videos/1480964938589323/
- Spun-sugar snickerdoodle blondies https://sugarspunrun.com/snickerdoodle-blondies/
- Creamy Parmesan garlic mushroom chicken http://therecipecritic.com/2016/06/creamy-parmesan-garlic-mushroom-chicken/
- Buttermilk blueberry breakfast cake http://myincrediblerecipes.com/crazydeliciousrecipes/
- Fresh strawberry cake http://www.yellowblissroad.com/fresh-strawberry-cake/
- Taco soup http://www.iwashyoudry.com/quick-and-easy-taco-soup-recipe/
- Slow cooker Mongolian beef http://therecipecritic.com/2015/08/slow-cooker-mongolian-beef/
- Breakfast bombs http://dlsh.it/qGwutzl
- Banana pudding cheesecake http://dlsh.it/BG1OCRI
- Chicken Francaise https://www.facebook.com/recipe30/videos/540542906101758/
- Lemon strawberry poundcake http://insidebrucrewlife.com/2017/04/lemon-strawberry-poke-cake/
- Honey garlic slow cooker ribs http://bzfd.it/2mzPuzO
- Hawaiian cheesecake fruit salad http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2017/04/hawaiian-cheesecake-salad.html
- Strawberry triple-layer cake http://www.gonnawantseconds.com/2014/07/strawberry-triple-layer-cake/
- Spinach artichoke dip http://bit.ly/SpinachArtichokeRecipe
- Slow cooker Salisbury steak http://www.spendwithpennies.com/slow-cooker-salisbury-steak/
- Apple Tart http://bzfd.it/2oF4X6B
- Frosted animal cookie cheesecake https://www.pinterest.com/pin/113012271882327085/
- Cinnamon roll coffee cake http://www.eatingonadime.com/cinnamon-roll-cake-recipe/
I’m cooking up a storm.
And still fighting off the coughs from these damn allergies.
Homemade ice cream base is in the fridge cooling.
There will be ice cream.
Homemade cornmeal shortbread was a tasty lunchtime treat.
And the pork ribs are in the oven right now, the fat being rendered by steam as I prepare for some smoked ribs for dinner. With corn and a green salad.
I ordered Chinese take-away on Monday, and in the brown paper delivery bag were two fortune cookies.
“Remember three months from this date. Good things are in store for you.”
“You will soon bring joy to a close friend.”
So I am banking on August 29.
Now I must confess that the genesis for getting Chinese food was the documentary I watched Sunday evening. The Search for General Tso. Funny. Mouthwatering. And easily capable of creating a yen for General Tso Chicken.
From my recent trip to Hong Kong, a sample of the dumplings at a street market:
Dumplings for sale.
As part of my summer tour of local eateries, I arrived this morning at Pint Size Bakery (Watson just south of Arsenal in South City) just after they opened . . . to find the line out the door.
A wait of ten minutes gave me time to peruse the display case loaded with sweet and savory goodies.
And to notice the number of young couples, young families, and occasional middle-aged professors standing in line for what is clearly a neighborhood locale of popularity.
My bacon, Cheddar, and Swiss quiche was light and delicate and just savory enough, with a most perfect flaky crust. I don’t know when I’ve had a lighter, yet substantial, piece of quiche.
I brought home a blueberry/lemon scone, which I will save for later this morning, after some chores. I’ll enjoy it with some homemade lemon curd.
I ate the whole thing. And then was happily miserable for hours.