I made some roasted red pepper hummus this weekend, with red peppers I roasted myself. I will never again buy a jar of roasted red peppers, as they are so terribly easy to make, especially if you use a pepper that is starting to go wrinkly.
- 3/4 cup roasted red bell peppers (about 1 lb. peppers, roasted)
- 3 1/2 cups soaked and cooked chickpeas/garbanzo beans (1 1/2 cups dry) OR 2 cans chickpeas/garbanzo beans (15 oz. each), drained and rinsed (do reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water or canned water)
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp crushed fresh garlic (or more to taste)
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- Water as needed (reserved chickpea water,of course)
For creamy hummus, I needed to remove the outer soft shell from each and every chickpea. And so I did. That took a few minutes, but the result was worth it.