Now that I’m home for a few days, I need to cook.
Wednesday dinner was slow-cooker Texas hash. I made a half-recipe for myself.
- four hours on high was plenty long for the cooking time. Perhaps a full batch would need a full four hours.
- I ended up adding an entire half-cup of water, rather than the 1/4 cup the half-recipe would require.
- the salt looks like a lot. But the lack of other spices cries out for salt.
- next time I’ll use a full 1.5 teaspoons of chili powder for the half-recipe.
- I may also consider a bit of garlic powder next time.
- This dish would work just as well with fire-roasted diced tomatoes.
Topped with some sour cream and some grated Cheddar cheese, this was a hearty and filling evening meal. A bowl of fresh strawberries finished off the feast.