What a splendid and satisfying Saturday I had!
- The Illinois premiere of my Storypeople Songs at none other than Northwestern University, with the wonderful Samantha Baran singing them.
- News from home of all four of my high school students receiving ‘I’ ratings at solo/ensemble contest, which means a trip to State in a few weeks.
- Word also that two of my Webster University students placed in the National Society of Arts and Letters regional scholarship competition, with prize-$$ winners at first and third place.
- Melodies from last evening at the Lyric Opera of Chicago still swimming around my head.
- A delightful video of Auggie taken by my incomparable dogsitter.
- A tour of the new Northwestern University home of the Bienen School of Music in a most stunning building.
- Sir Mark Elder conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in music of Vaughan Williams and the powerful Symphony No. 1 by Edward Elgar.
- A talk with Sir Mark afterwards, courtesy of the Elgar Society.
- Drinks apres concert in the ornate lobby of the Palmer House.
And on the flip side, absolutely boorish and incredibly rude behavior by three young women on the Red Line train inbound from Evanston. And several other sightings I will have to have therapy to describe….